Have an account?

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Ward. Darkward.

Yay, another new feature! Twimpage is happy to present the Ward. specials. Every month, we will be bringing a special guest reviewer who specializes in a particular Edward manifestation, and throws in a few good recs in the bargain. Please note, however, that due to a lack of fics in the area, some Wards might not have small-time fics. 


Now that's clear, Twimpage is proud to welcome Lambcullen, author of Landscapes, First Edition and Catching Spiders, to introduce...





Darkward.

My very favourite brand of Edward.

Whether AH or AU, I adore this character ferociously. Though I admit DarkVampward is my heaven.

It amazes me how difficult it can be to find a truly outstanding one. Too many of them focus on the redemption of him, and he invariably turns into Sapward. It is one of my biggest fic hates. I don’t see how a character as evil and calculating as many Darkwards start could possibly be changed by love.

Sometimes there is no redemption…and that’s the best part!

I found Twilight because of my love of Vampire novels. I was lured in, and even though it certainly wasn’t what I’d expected, I found a fascination with early Edward – the Edward that thirsted for Bella’s blood.

Midnight Sun Edward.

Obviously, this book is nowhere near completed, so for me, the void is filled with the wonderful words from authors like Bratty Vamp (Toye), Raggdoll of Twilight (House of the Horde/ Lion eats Lambs), Elusivetwilight (Incubus Anomaly) and many more. They give an Edward that stays true to his nature.

He stays blood thirsty and detached from human emotions, such as love.

The Masque of the Red Death by Jeesiechreesie

To me, this has one of the best endings to a dark fic ever!

Edward knows Bella is his, there is no question and each chapter gets him on step, and kill, closer to her. It sucked me in instantly, especially when her authors note states, 


“It is not a love story, nor one of redemption.”

I’ve read it many times now, and the more I read, the more I love.

“As ever, blood was my requiem. It was a fine art I had mastered decades ago, learning the depth and breadth of the bites; the perfect placement of each. Even satiated with feast I had just imbibed, the venom filled my mouth at its recall...”

Her words wrap me up in a world where Edward has one sole focus: Bella Swan, and it is irrelevant to him just how many people he needs to slay to get to her.

When anyone asks me to recommend a dark fic to them, this is one of the first on my list.

It’s complete, and only nine chapters long.

If you like dark… you’ll love this!

Dusk and Her Embrace by Buzzkill34

This one is still very new, less than ten chapters, and it’s one of those fics that turns you into a needy child – you always want more!

The summary is wonderful: 


Do not sire for love, for you do not want the additional burden should the childe need putting down. A gothic romance.

The author weaves some incredible words into this fic, giving us a whole new take on the Volturi.

“He crossed the room in one quick motion, stopping in front of me. His hands were at my throat, squeezing it hard. I was sure my eyes were huge and my breaths were weak. My knees buckled from his strength.

"You will show me the proper respect, weakling." His eyes burned with rage while his voice was deadly calm.

"Now, if you can be civil, I will answer your questions." With that, he released my neck and took a few steps back, sitting on the empty chair across the room.”

This fic has a chilling quality, one that is rarely duplicated. Maybe it’s the language used, or maybe it’s the author, because this fic is different for another reason entirely.

The author is male, and that sets it aside from the rest and maybe that’s why it feels so different.

Whatever the reason, its wonderful, so get in early and start reading now.

Incubus Anomaly by Elusivetwilight

OK, so you may say I’m biased here, because I beta for this fic. The thing is, even if I didn’t I would be devouring this.

Pervward (as I aptly named him), is a sex demon. He stalks the night, trying to ease not just one hunger, but two. That is until Bella moves in across the street, and he is faced with his soul mate and his singer all rolled into one. However, even when the reality of this strikes him, Elusive is still uncompromising with Perward’s thoughts.

“I stalked closer to her, closing the gap. I measured her steps, the gentle pump of blood through her veins echoing across the smaller distance between us. Venom pooled in my mouth, and my cock strained against the fabric of my pants.
I crouched, waiting.”

Her words ooze atmosphere. There is no mistaking what is happening, or what is going on in each character’s heads. It’s sometimes like watching a scary movie, only it’s in front of you on the page, and just like one of those movies sometime you want to hide behind a pillow. One of the most recent chapters underlines that, but I won’t spoil it for you.

I will be truly sorry when Pervward stops landing in my inbox.

…Darkward will always be my brand of heroin.


Want more Darkward? Check out Deviants of Dark, Lambcullen's new blog dedicated to our favorite dark apparition of the night. All Darkward, all the time. 

Staff Small-Time DarkWard Picks worth noticing: 

Rose Like Thunder by yellowglue
from the eyes of the devil himself

Beyond the Seventh Circle by Amelie Gray 
(tee-hee...shameless plug, much?)

Got more? Tell us!


2 comments:

needsmorecherry said...

sigh. pervward may not be all lovey dovey. but I certainly am now.

and I agree, darkward with a bit of bite is always better. xo

annetteinoz said...

I love Pervward, he's incredibly hot but is also not ashamed of what he is and how he satisfies both his needs. I'm lining up to help him with that.

Post a Comment